Forum Sponsors

E30 Restoration Project E30 coupe plastic bumper rescue

#1 User is offline   Jbuycream1 Icon

• 325i
  • Group: Members
  • My e30:325i

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

Hi Guys

Ever since i had my first boxie, i was bitten by the BMW bugg/goga as they say. i had many boxies over the past 3 years but i was never satisfied. As soon as i had one i was sold it untill my wife said enough. Its not that i didnt want the cars its only that i was never satisfied with the one i had, i always wanted; the like Loen Schuster said in his movie '' THE BIG THING'' or A DREAM CAR TO HAVE. this big thing is what drives me, and what is the dream car for ME, BMW E30 325i 2 coupe plastic bumper not made plastic bumper but original with all the trimmings. Now you guys must think what is this guy crazy those cars are everywhere, well gents not in Cape Town, the 2 door plastic bumper is very hard to find in Cape Town and if you do get one it is pre 88' which means is was made a plastic bumper,,, all my cars i had was 4 door 320i and 325i but never the BIG THING, untill my buddy told me about a car he saw in someone's back yard. So we went to look and hold and behold n 1989 2door coupe318i plastic bumper original Diamond black bimmer rough as hell sadly standing on blocks and grass growing through the engine bay. I immidiatly fell in love gents made an offer and towed it away. What i liked about the car is that it is in a original state, original paint ''DAM IT BLACK MAN'' my favourate color, all numbers match and the cars has papers (scrapped).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
So the journey starts for me, i want to do a full restoration with a full 325i conversion to be done. First i want to strip, paint it black again but i want to go for a JET BLACK color, interior make over, new suspension, brakes, shocks dam man the whole blady works. BUDGET 30K, TIME PERIOD 12months.

So guys im not crazy just a really big E30 freak and doing this will only bring me joy and i know by the end of it all i wont be disappointed.

Any advise, comments are welcome guys. WATCH THIS SPACE FOR UPDATES

PS: Someone please tell me how to load pictures please. Thanks

#2 User is offline   Big-D Icon

• El duderino
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Motor racing and extreme sports
  • My e30:198X 2-door Chromie

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

Welcome, this should help
http://www.e30clubsa...s-on-the-forum/

#3 User is offline   Leimie Icon

• "banned"
  • My e30:'87 325i shadowline

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

Welcome. From what you have described, I really don't think 30k is going to be enough. And you would probably end up selling it anyway since it wouldn't really be a BMW E30 325i 2 coupe plastic bumper.

#4 User is offline   Jbuycream1 Icon

• 325i

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostLeimie, on 19 November 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

Welcome. From what you have described, I really don't think 30k is going to be enough. And you would probably end up selling it anyway since it wouldn't really be a BMW E30 325i 2 coupe plastic bumper.

Hi, yes i agree 30k maybe not enough, i do have a lot of friend thats has parts etc. maybe a nice 328i multivalve conversion maybe? i dont know. Like i said i saw the car got it for a good price. but you right i wont stop till have that original 325i coupe,lol

Thanks buddy

#5 User is offline   Leimie Icon

• "banned"
  • My e30:'87 325i shadowline

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:57 PM

I suppose the cost of fitting a m50 would be similar to fitting the m20 so you might as well go with the m50. GL!

#6 User is offline   Jbuycream1 Icon

• 325i

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostLeimie, on 19 November 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

I suppose the cost of fitting a m50 would be similar to fitting the m20 so you might as well go with the m50. GL!

Let me first do the exterior and interior first, then take it from there. I've read when ever you do a conversion the cheapest way would be to buy a second donor car being it E36multivalve or E30. STRIP & FIT or am i wrong? Anyway any project takes time en money but when you do it for the love it, it becomes a joy to do.... let me see how far i get.

Thanks

#7 User is offline   Blaqjew Icon

• 325is
  • My e30:325i (totalled), 325i Baur (sold), 320i (gone) 318i (parted) 325i-Shadowline (Under construction)

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

Welcome bro'....
That's a nice car you found there. I bet it will look mean when fully restored. But as Leimie said, the 30K budget is a bit too low.
All the best with the restoration. Its always a nice thing to see someone willing to invest both time & money to bring back to life, these Monsters of ours. :emoticons_animated_5:

#8 User is offline   Jbuycream1 Icon

• 325i

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostBlaqjew, on 19 November 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

Welcome bro'....
That's a nice car you found there. I bet it will look mean when fully restored. But as Leimie said, the 30K budget is a bit too low.
All the best with the restoration. Its always a nice thing to see someone willing to invest both time & money to bring back to life, these Monsters of ours. :emoticons_animated_5:

Thank you very much, i will keep you guys upto date and will post pics as regular as i can.

#9 User is offline   Hennie Icon

• Profesional Speedfreak
  • My e30:E 30 3??

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

good luck with the build mine has just passed the 11 months mark of being a push mobile im way over 60k into spares and stuff to get it finished the head will be finished in the next 2 weeks then the motor can go in for the final time

#10 User is offline   loedie Icon

• 325is
  • Interests:Speed
  • My e30:325is EVO2, 1986 333i

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

Good luck with the restoration. I am busy with a 333 that looks like it was similar if not worse condition than yours. I have posted on the forum with pics, have a look.

#11 User is offline   Kyle323i Icon

• 323i
  • Interests:BMW E30 :D Kyokushin Karate , Kickboxing , mixed martial arts, and more e30
  • My e30:318i Cabriolet

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

:emoticons_animated_5: Good luck with the restoration , looking foward to seeing ur progress :)

#12 User is offline   Stevin Icon

• Still kicking!
  • Group: Founders
  • My e30:A bitsa, bitsa this, bitsa that.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

With it standing for so long and down at the coast I urge you to strip it down and repair rust (cause it will be there!) before you start with the nice bits. Ask me I know.

#13 User is offline   elroyscheepers@gmail.com Icon

• 325i
  • Interests:obsessions are bmw's
  • My e30:320i

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:36 AM

That car kinda looks like the car I saw on gumtree for R15k 318i with 325i parts anyway good luck with the project my man it is a labour of love

#14 User is offline   Jbuycream1 Icon

• 325i

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

View Postelroyscheepers@gmail.com, on 20 November 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

That car kinda looks like the car I saw on gumtree for R15k 318i with 325i parts anyway good luck with the project my man it is a labour of love

Could be, i dont know i got the car for 4K. Only parts i got was a 325i complete loom. But im strongly considering the 328i vanos motor conversion its much cheaper more power but im still miles away from thing of that.

#15 User is offline   Baz Icon

• PM an admin to request a custom title
  • Interests:BMW E30s
    My Foxterrier and Jack Russel
  • My e30:325iS and 333i

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

Don't want to discourage you from tackling this project. Let me tell you why I think you should STOP this whole idea....
I bought my iS for R60K. Services, repairs, turbo, tierods, control arms, etc took another R20K. Then sending car to SA by truck R3000. Airplane tickets + Work done on the car + parts + transporting the car back to Namibia +fines on the border roughly adds up to R70K for the South African experience ALONE! Add up my friend and she still needs a steering rack, shocks, brake pads, a 5000km service, water hoses, belts, tyres, and a respray.

So if I had to do it all over again.... I would save enough money (you will get an idea how much a Shadowline or iS sells for nowadays) and once I have the money go out and BUY one that has been well looked after, or has been given a makeover wrt engine, interior, exterior... You may already save thousands of rands. There might be membes who will disagree with me but this advice is based on my experience.

Don't waste time, energy and money and other resources on this project you want to start now. Rather sell this car, use the money to buy another, sell it, etc until you have enough to buy an iS one time. This is what I would do if I want another iS or an e30 with an e36 motor or Supra engine.

But goodl uck if you want to continue. You will need it as well as lots of friends and money and patience and understanding from your wife or girlfriend, and a budget that makes provision for a new expense called the e30 child!

#16 User is offline   Jbuycream1 Icon

• 325i

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

View PostBaz, on 20 November 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

Don't want to discourage you from tackling this project. Let me tell you why I think you should STOP this whole idea....
I bought my iS for R60K. Services, repairs, turbo, tierods, control arms, etc took another R20K. Then sending car to SA by truck R3000. Airplane tickets + Work done on the car + parts + transporting the car back to Namibia +fines on the border roughly adds up to R70K for the South African experience ALONE! Add up my friend and she still needs a steering rack, shocks, brake pads, a 5000km service, water hoses, belts, tyres, and a respray.

So if I had to do it all over again.... I would save enough money (you will get an idea how much a Shadowline or iS sells for nowadays) and once I have the money go out and BUY one that has been well looked after, or has been given a makeover wrt engine, interior, exterior... You may already save thousands of rands. There might be membes who will disagree with me but this advice is based on my experience.

Don't waste time, energy and money and other resources on this project you want to start now. Rather sell this car, use the money to buy another, sell it, etc until you have enough to buy an iS one time. This is what I would do if I want another iS or an e30 with an e36 motor or Supra engine.

But goodl uck if you want to continue. You will need it as well as lots of friends and money and patience and understanding from your wife or girlfriend, and a budget that makes provision for a new expense called the e30 child!

Thanks for your advise and I value your comments. I will see how far I get then take from there. There really isn't so much work as it looks, body is solid and standard, car is just rough from standing for many years. Follow the progress maybe you'll be surprised,lol

Thanks buddy

#17 User is offline   Jbuycream1 Icon

• 325i

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

Went to sleep at 23:45 last night. Car is 70% stripped. Will be ready for paint soon.

#18 User is offline   Reloaded Icon

• 325is
  • My e30:86,325i and an E88

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:32 PM

lol.....fresh enthusiasm.....i like....lets hope it lasts....

Good luck

#19 User is offline   Jbuycream1 Icon

• 325i

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

Question???? 2door

My car dont have a sunroof, can i buy a whole roof from another car and fit that roof on my car. What is the pros & cons of doing something like that???

Thanks in advance guys.

#20 User is offline   Baz Icon

• PM an admin to request a custom title
  • Interests:BMW E30s
    My Foxterrier and Jack Russel
  • My e30:325iS and 333i

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostJbuycream1, on 20 November 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Question???? 2door

My car dont have a sunroof, can i buy a whole roof from another car and fit that roof on my car. What is the pros & cons of doing something like that???

Thanks in advance guys.

Thare is a post on this forum where a member removed the top part of the roof by grinding loose the welds and replacing it with one with a sunroof.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users