E30 Club SA: 2.8 Stroker Overfueling - E30 Club SA

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forum Sponsors

2.8 Stroker Overfueling

#1 User is offline   siyabonga Icon

  • 325i
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: 15-December 15
  • My e30:e30
  • From: Western Cape

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:14 AM

hi guys,
Hope all is well. its been a while. advice needed please.
its an 2.8 stroker. at first it was over fuelling, stalling, misfires and jerking at low gears.
had the motor overhauled. now its still doing the same thing, was advice to check
for air leaks and I did that, no change, new second hand AFM car no longer jerks but overfuel badly.
so bad I hav to change plugs before I can even start it in the morning otherwise it wont start.
had lots of money put on it, so I was wondering what could be the cause. as much as I love the standard motronic,
would maybe like to know is the any chance that after market management(spitronics) would solve my problem.

Car is hectic at the moment would like to try management hopefully it will solve the problem, almost sold it, then
I thought I had just over 45k put on the car let me give it last try. any advice welcome.
Not really clued up as far as management is concerned, school me if you can, was quoted 4.5k buying it and 2.5k fitting. would really love to keep.

Thanking you in advance
0

#2 User is offline   ///M-Junkie Icon

  • SA Homologation Special Junkie too!
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 1,664
  • Joined: 25-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Valley of 1000 Hills
  • My e30:Sold the 325iS Evolution HP in my sig
  • From: Kwa-Zulu Natal

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

From what you have said, the problem seems to lie with your AFM.

Unfortunately you can't simply slap an AFM from a 2.5 motor onto a 2.8 stroker, as the fueling requirements are different, hence the setting must be different too.

I am a fan of the standard Motronic set-up and would rather take it in to someone who knows how to fiddle with the AFM to adjust the settings.

TAKE NOTE: Make sure it is a tuner who can be confirmed to know what he is doing with AFMs, as it is very easy to mess the whole thing up with small incorrect adjustments to the flap tension wheel on the inside!

Perhaps a fellow member can recommend someone in Cape Town who knows what he is doing.
0

#3 User is offline   siyabonga Icon

  • 325i
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: 15-December 15
  • My e30:e30
  • From: Western Cape

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:25 AM

View Post///M-Junkie, on 08 October 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

From what you have said, the problem seems to lie with your AFM.

Unfortunately you can't simply slap an AFM from a 2.5 motor onto a 2.8 stroker, as the fueling requirements are different, hence the setting must be different too.

I am a fan of the standard Motronic set-up and would rather take it in to someone who knows how to fiddle with the AFM to adjust the settings.

TAKE NOTE: Make sure it is a tuner who can be confirmed to know what he is doing with AFMs, as it is very easy to mess the whole thing up with small incorrect adjustments to the flap tension wheel on the inside!

Perhaps a fellow member can recommend someone in Cape Town who knows what he is doing.


Thanks my man, I had it adjusted by some one.
Not a tuner though but a mechanic. its better than what it was.
it starts right away now, smoking is better, and drives better, jerks now and then but the power is there.
and the mech is complaining about the current AFM that is also not up to standard.

And if I was still in cape town, things would have been better I know my way around that side, would have been sorted by same guy that build the motor sadly I work in Mpumalanga, Middelburg and you do not find a lot of tuners who know the M20, there is one guy though who has been of great help he knows the M20.
0

#4 User is offline   leez Icon

  • E30 M3
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,604
  • Joined: 04-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stanger
  • My e30:325is
  • From: Kwa-Zulu Natal

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:56 PM

View Postsiyabonga, on 09 October 2017 - 07:25 AM, said:

Thanks my man, I had it adjusted by some one.
Not a tuner though but a mechanic. its better than what it was.
it starts right away now, smoking is better, and drives better, jerks now and then but the power is there.
and the mech is complaining about the current AFM that is also not up to standard.

And if I was still in cape town, things would have been better I know my way around that side, would have been sorted by same guy that build the motor sadly I work in Mpumalanga, Middelburg and you do not find a lot of tuners who know the M20, there is one guy though who has been of great help he knows the M20.



Problem is your afm. Also set valve clearance to spec and do u have a 325i ecu and injectors?
0

#5 User is offline   siyabonga Icon

  • 325i
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: 15-December 15
  • My e30:e30
  • From: Western Cape

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

View Postleez, on 09 October 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

Problem is your afm. Also set valve clearance to spec and do u have a 325i ecu and injectors?


Leez, yes its running with the 325i ecu and I suppose injectors as well, blue in colour.
yesterday evening I moved the warn out board inside the AFM that was giving me problem,
I figured what do I have to loose its old, moved it closer to the arm, and to my surprise,
the car has no flat spot no jerking and did not smoke even took it for a test drive one small screw inside AFM is broken though was too tight tight to remove had to use a driller broke the head off.
it drives like a dream. but then again this morning I warmed it up let it idle and there was smoke but not that much, after 20min or so idling smoke was gone, but it drove like the plugs where wet a bit, will buy new plugs and see how its goin to drive tomorrow morning,

And I am not sure about valve clearance, what is it suppose to be so I check it up.

Thanks again.

This post has been edited by siyabonga: 11 October 2017 - 07:47 AM

0

#6 User is offline   leez Icon

  • E30 M3
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,604
  • Joined: 04-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Stanger
  • My e30:325is
  • From: Kwa-Zulu Natal

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

View Postsiyabonga, on 11 October 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

Leez, yes its running with the 325i ecu and I suppose injectors as well, blue in colour.
yesterday evening I moved the warn out board inside the AFM that was giving me problem,
I figured what do I have to loose its old, moved it closer to the arm, and to my surprise,
the car has no flat spot no jerking and did not smoke even took it for a test drive one small screw inside AFM is broken though was too tight tight to remove had to use a driller broke the head off.
it drives like a dream. but then again this morning I warmed it up let it idle and there was smoke but not that much, after 20min or so idling smoke was gone, but it drove like the plugs where wet a bit, will buy new plugs and see how its goin to drive tomorrow morning,

And I am not sure about valve clearance, what is it suppose to be so I check it up.

Thanks again.



I think it's 0.25 on the intake and exhaust side. Some1 can confirm this. U can Google to confirm
0

#7 User is offline   bmwmaniac Icon

  • Slim Shady
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 2,844
  • Joined: 23-February 09
  • Gender:Male
  • My e30:E30 325i
  • From: Western Cape

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:00 AM

yes .25 cold
0

#8 User is offline   siyabonga Icon

  • 325i
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: 15-December 15
  • My e30:e30
  • From: Western Cape

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:00 AM

View Postleez, on 14 October 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

I think it's 0.25 on the intake and exhaust side. Some1 can confirm this. U can Google to confirm


will have it checked sir, car has been driving just over four days with out any issues
except lil bit of smoke in the morning, so will go back to normal routine now, only start car in the mornings. I will not be driving it so I can really confirm that its not over fuelling anymore,
I am thinking this the only way to confirm it since the problem was noticeable only if the car was not driven.
if not driven for a day or two and it do not start I will know I still have a problem but if it starts and idles well then problem solved,
Thanks again.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users