• You cannot reply to this topic

Forum Sponsors

How to do burnouts and doughnuts

#1 User is offline   Beacon Icon

• Mercedes-Benz
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:49 PM

How to do a burnout
Now the manual technique. Nearly any rear-wheel drive car should be able to hold a static burnout with at least one wheel if it has manual transmission and a decent clutch. Put the heel of your right foot on the brake pedal, and lean the top of your foot over so that it's on the accellerator. Put the clutch in with your left foot, and push down on the accellerator and the brake at the same time. Rev the engine to about 5,000 rpm and then drop the clutch with your left foot, whilst flooring the accelerator. This should break the back wheels loose. You'll have to back off the accelerator fairly quickly to avoid redlining. Hold it at about 4/5000rpm for premium torque. Congratulations, you're now doing a burnout! You've just attracted the attention of every conservative and every revhead in the nearest 400 metres..now leave the scene before the law arrives. And make with the leaving already

How to do doughnuts

First of all, get your burnout started, then slowly release the brake until you start moving forward. Start to turn the wheel and release the brake pedal more, and as you accelerate more, turn the wheel to full lock and back way off the brake. The car will lurch forward and turn sharply, and the back will fly around. Keep going onto the brake more as you start to slow down, so you can get more force for the next turn and release it more as you start to get thrown around. You can turn the wheel back the opposite way when you're going through a turn to just drift with the wheelspin if you like, and then turn to lock the other way for a nice reversal. It's really up to you to experiment with different combinations of how you like to get the car moving, but that's the basics of it

#2 User is offline   kreem_y Icon

• "The ORACLE"
  • Interests:Sourcing moola for an M3.....or M5!! Any donations?

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:13 PM

This is def on my todo list...thanks beacon.

i reckon just before my next service is due would be a good time too.

#3 User is offline   Sp33dy Icon

• "Looks fast - is slow"
  • Group: Admins

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:41 PM

The full article can be found here: http://forums.nicocl...rothread/139711

#4 User is offline   ZaiKie Icon

• "Spin Junkie"
  • Interests:Spinning Spinning Spinning Spinning Spinning Spinning and more Spinning
  • My e30:'87 320i Shell with 325i Motor, 323LSD, Custom induction, Crackless dash

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:32 AM

Dead on!

#5 User is offline   Stevin Icon

• Still kicking!
  • Group: Founders
  • My e30:A bitsa, bitsa this, bitsa that.

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:03 AM

U dont need 2 do a burn out 2 do a donut though.

just 1 turn on the steering, rev the car up, and drop the clutch, car will slide out, and the nas it feels like it's going to stop sliding, turn the steering straight again, and it will slide.

Keep doing this techinque to go around and around...

with figure 8's u just turn it instead of str8, to on turn in the opposite direction.

#6 User is offline   ZaiKie Icon

• "Spin Junkie"
  • Interests:Spinning Spinning Spinning Spinning Spinning Spinning and more Spinning
  • My e30:'87 320i Shell with 325i Motor, 323LSD, Custom induction, Crackless dash

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, but it just looks so cool when going into a donut out of a burnout

#7 User is offline   kreem_y Icon

• "The ORACLE"

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:59 AM

u probably need lotsa space to do donuts? nice big empty parking lot, intersections, etc

#8 User is offline   ZaiKie Icon

• "Spin Junkie"

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:04 PM

Thats all up to you, when you in a small space throw small donuts, big space big donuts.

I find the bigger donuts more challeging than the small donuts

#9 User is offline   Stevin Icon

• Still kicking!

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:21 PM

Big donuts are actually what u would call a Drift Circle :)

#10 User is offline   ZaiKie Icon

• "Spin Junkie"

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:47 PM

Yeah you actually would as the steering is turned in the opposite direction that you spinning in right!

#11 User is offline   tyu333 Icon

• 333i

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:20 AM

Just a small note on doing the no. 8 in a small space: If you turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction to start the 8 with the accelarator floored you gonna definately hit the pavement.

What you need to do is before you go into the 8 lift your foot off the throttle a little bit, quickly turn the steering wheel in the opp direction then floor it to get it to keep spinning.

#12 User is offline   v1p3r Icon

• E30 M3
  • My e30:is crashed.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:27 PM

Any tips for doing burnouts and donuts in an auto 325i? :D

#13 User is offline   kreem_y Icon

• "The ORACLE"

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:30 PM

I would guess, throw it into reverse and then drive and floor it....and then reverse and then drive and then floor it....and so forth and so on... :lol:

#14 User is offline   Ledz Icon

• 323i
  • Interests:Flying, Cars, basically anything with a motor attached. Radio control, planes, helicopters and slope soarers. Water sports, slalom skiing, surfing.
    Sunsets and long walks on the beach.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:59 PM

Ok, so I got no gripes with the whole burnout thing, I usually don't brake, just pop clutch at 4000rpm and spin, but realised that it was only spinning up the left side. So I tried it with the brakes applied, but same result. I am confused as to why. I did it today in the wet again to test if it was a grip thing, but no, just the left spins. Is this some kind of bias in the diff, or could it be my fat *** on the right of the car giving the right rear more grip or what? Any clues? Lemme know. Caio

#15 User is offline   ZaiKie Icon

• "Spin Junkie"

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:26 AM

If the left just spins then you don't haver LSD thats why just 1 wheel spins

#16 User is offline   Stevin Icon

• Still kicking!

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:01 AM

Ledz said:

Ok, so I got no gripes with the whole burnout thing, I usually don't brake, just pop clutch at 4000rpm and spin, but realised that it was only spinning up the left side. So I tried it with the brakes applied, but same result. I am confused as to why. I did it today in the wet again to test if it was a grip thing, but no, just the left spins. Is this some kind of bias in the diff, or could it be my fat *** on the right of the car giving the right rear more grip or what? Any clues? Lemme know. Caio

Ur post just made me Laugh... :)

and 32?i is right, it's cause you have an open diff and not a LSD, so the power is applied to the one wheel, where a std LSD puts 25% over the power to the wheel with more traction.

#17 User is offline   ZaiKie Icon

• "Spin Junkie"

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:43 AM

It was a funny post, but hey ....... ok no I can't think of any excuse to make for that post :oops:

#18 User is offline   born2boost Icon

• "Boost Junkie"

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:25 PM

32?i said:

Yeah you actually would as the steering is turned in the opposite direction that you spinning in right!

this is also known as the Broadslide or Powerslide as Tiff Needell would call it...

and its absolute fun to do it.

I dont even waste time doing donuts anymore...broad slides are much more of a challenge and look awesome!

#19 User is offline   sachak Icon

• 325is
  • Interests:3d animation, cars, surfing.
  • My e30:Had E30 323i now drive E36 325i

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:57 AM

Hmmm this is some tempting stuff but after all the cash iv just spent on sorting my cars clutch and gearbox out, I wont be dropping the clutch or anything of the sort for a long time, I dont want to hurt my baby anymore than my stupid mechanic has already done with fitting my gearbox like an ***!!!

#20 User is offline   CocoPops Icon

• PM an admin to request a custom title
  • Interests:Cars. BMW 4 LYYYFFFF
  • My e30:320 - 4 door 89 model

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:48 PM

hmmm k i see.. can a 320i manual spin? does it have a lsd? lol

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic